I wear linen clothes all year round. How about you?
I often get comments about wearing linen only during the summer months, while I actually wear my linen pants right up until the snow begins to fall and pair linen blouses underneath sweaters throughout the entire winter season. Well, let's face another myth about my beloved material, because its versatility makes it in fact a great choice for wearing through all year round.
We can all agree that linen fabric doesn't provide the same level of warmth as materials such as wool or cashmere, but here's why you should consider making it an everyday part of your wardrobe, no matter the season:
- Breathable and Insulating: Linen's breathable nature keeps you cool in summer and warm in colder months. Layering linen pieces provides natural insulation for added comfort. A study published in the Journal of Textile Science and Technology found that linen fabric's breathability is unmatched by most other natural fibers.
- Moisture-Wicking: Linen quickly absorbs and releases moisture, which keeps you dry and fresh, whether it's hot or cold outside. Linen can absorb up to 20% of its weight in moisture, which keeps you dry in humid summers and prevents excessive perspiration during cooler months.
- Layering: Of course, linen can feel uncomfortable and cold against the skin in low temperatures. Naturally, It doesn't provide the cozy and snug feeling that many people prefer during the winter months. However, with the proper underlayer (cotton, merino), you can still enjoy your linen shirts, and your favourite turtle-neck will look great paired with linen kimono or wrap top.
- Heavy weight linen and linen blends: These thicker options provide the cozy and snug feeling that many people prefer during the winter months. Personally, I love heavy weight linen. It's so versatile. Blends, on the other hand (with cotton or wool in particular), offer a combination of linen's breathability and comfort of cotton or wool's excellent insulation.
- Easy Care: Linen softens and becomes more comfortable with each wash, requiring minimal maintenance.
- Sustainable: As you know, linen is eco-friendly, contributing to a sustainable wardrobe year-round.
Linen clothing offers comfort, style, and sustainability year-round. Don't limit this natural fabric to just one season; embrace it throughout the year for a versatile and eco-conscious wardrobe.
Thanks for reading! Lucie.